Applicant Process and Qualifications
Applicants must first complete the application online. Then, the following should be emailed to the program:
- A current CV
- A brief essay
- Observation agreement form
- Compliance with health regulations and proof of required vaccinations
Once received, reviewed, and approved, we will confirm your externship dates. Please allow several months to complete the process.
Depending on the dates, the externship offers a variety of experiences. Externs will have the opportunity to observe patient care in the following locations within Nationwide Children's Hospital:
- Pediatric Dentistry Clinic: Students will observe pediatric dental residents provide comprehensive care to infants, children and those with special health care needs
- Sedation: Externs may will shadow residents in the oral sedation clinic
- Trauma: Externs may observe care of patients who have experienced oro-facial trauma
- General Anesthesia: Externs may observe residents or faculty in the operating room during the provision of dental care under general anesthesia
In addition, externs can elect to attend didactic courses when in session and shadow the on-call dental resident in the Emergency Department clinic for cases of dental trauma or facial cellulitis.
Accommodations, Transportation, and Other Logistic Considerations
Externs will need to secure and fund their own lodging and transportation. Meals and other costs incurred during the externship are the responsibility of the extern. Due to our 5-year HRSA grant, we are able to provide a limited number of travel stipends to interested applicants who qualify as a underrepresented minority in dentistry. More details will be provided if you choose this designation on the application form.
Faculty and Residency Information
The externship program will expose students to a number of full- and part-time faculty representing academic and private practice pediatric dentistry. A list of faculty members and information about our residency program can be found on the following sites: