DDS Residency and Costs

The cost of attendance increases in years two, three and four due to enrollment during Summer Term.


You must physically reside in Ohio by August, in order to be considered for in-state residency for the coinciding academic year. If you decide to move to Ohio prior to August, your "residency clock" will start at that time. In order for you to be considered a resident of Ohio you must meet the residency requirements one-year prior to the term you are desiring residency for. Example: If you desire residency starting with the first semester of your D2 (second year) year, you would want to be residing in Ohio no later than May of the year prior. 

If you did not graduate from an Ohio high school, you must be able to show proof of your living arrangements with a valid date. If you are married and planning on your spouse working throughout the year, you will still receive residency if your spouse begins work before the start of the first semester in August.

First-Year Cost of Attendance

Total ESTIMATED Cost of Attendance (tuition + academic expenses + living expenses)

The cost of attendance increases in years two, three and four due to enrollment during Summer Term.

*Out-of-state students may apply for residency after the first year if they quality.

**Does not include university health insurance

Electric Handpieces

The College of Dentistry moved to electric handpieces beginning with the Class of 2022.  In order to fully operationalize the use of the electric handpieces in the clinic pool, each student needs to purchase two handpiece kits. The first kit is purchased at the beginning of the D1 year in order for the student to use it during preclinical coursework. The second kit is purchased during the D2 year for student use in the clinic beginning the summer of their D3 year.

A dental student practices using an electric handpiece on dental mannequin

Financial Aid

Loan assistance is readily available to Ohio State students. Loan programs commonly used by dental students include the federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, federal Graduate Plus Loan and university-administered loans. Students interested in receiving financial aid (university loans, federal loans and scholarships) must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The deadline for completion of the FAFSA is February 1 of each year.

Scholarships are also available through the college and university. Please see the College of Dentistry Financial Aid webpage and the Ohio State Financial Aid website for additional financial aid information.

Forever Buckeye

Students who have graduated from an Ohio high school, but attended college outside of Ohio and/or moved out of state since graduation, are considered a “Forever Buckeye” and a resident of Ohio for the purpose of tuition. 

For additional questions