College of Dentistry Mentor Program
The College of Dentistry is looking for alumni dental professionals to join us in providing mentoring opportunities to students.
Mentor applications will open in early September.
The College of Dentistry has created a mentorship program to connect current students with alumni. Mentors serve as supporters, motivators and resource. The mentorship program is a school year (fall 2019- summer 2020) commitment, however, we hope that the program will provide the foundation for on-going professional relationships.
The College of Dentistry Mentor Program matches a dental or dental hygiene student with an alumni of the college. The program is designed to give students access to an experienced individual to turn to for guidance, advice and direction, and to help students broaden their professional networks, enhance their classroom experience and prepare for and acquire insights into the job search process.
Serving as a mentor allows you to increase the value of your College of Dentistry degree by investing in future alumni, growing a deeper relationship with the college, improving your own advising skills and enriching your own life as you pay it forward.
Ideal mentors are those who will be able to:
- Commit to the time and communication requirements as mutually agreed upon between mentor and mentee. At a minimum, there should be one interaction per month (via face-to-face, email or phone)
- Meet face-to-face with their mentee a minimum of one time per year
- Return to campus for a mentor program event in spring 2019
- Teach mentees about the value of a The Ohio State University College of Dentistry education
- Provide career guidance and advice on transition from classroom to workplace
- Complete mentor program surveys and evaluations at various intervals throughout the year to allow us to continue to build and improve the program
Benefits of Mentoring:
While the advantages of a mentoring program for our students are obvious, mentors also benefit from the program.
- Connection to the College of Dentistry in a deeper, more meaningful way
- Encourage your own personal and professional growth
- Exposure to the emerging talent pool
- Professional distinction as someone who can serve as an example and role model for others
- Enhancement of coaching, leadership and management skills
- Development of lasting career network
- Experience personal satisfaction by helping an emerging professional reach his/her potential
College of Dentistry staff will review student applications and mentor profiles, and will make the mentor/mentee matches. Matches will be based on availability, career goals/interests of the student, and the professional experience of the mentor. It may happen that your valued experience and expertise is not the right match for a student in the given year. That does not mean you will not be a best match for a student the following year. We hope you will be patient and understanding with the process.